Thursday, March 3, 2011

Julius Caesar: Solo/Duet Performance Assesment

For this Julius Caesar Performing Assesment, I chose Brutus to perform alone. Act 3.2, line 12 -31 is what I am going to perform. In this scene, Brutus killed Caesar in front of Pompey's statue in the Senate and is convincing public to be on his side. He sets his honour and justice in his speech and patriotism for people to make sure that he did right thing to kill Caesar.

Brutus :

Be patient till the last.

Romans, contrymen, and lovers, hear me for my cause, and

be silent, that you may hear. Believe me for mine honour, and

have respect to mine honour, that you may believe. Censure

me in your wisdom, and wake your sense, that you may the

better judge. If there be any in this assembly, any dear friend

of Caesar's, to him I say that friend demand why Brutus rose against

Caesar, this is my answer: Not that I loved Caesar less, but

that I loved Rome more. Had you rather Caesar were living,

and die all slaves, than that Caesar were dead, to live all free

men? As Caesar loved me, I weep for him; as he was

fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was valiant, I honour him, but,

as he was ambitious, I slew him. There is tears, for his love;

joy, for his fortune; honour, for his valour; and death, for his

ambition. Who is here so base, that would be a bondman? If

any, speak; for him have I offended. Who is here so rude, that

would not be a Roman? If any, speak; for him have I offened.

Who is here so rude, that would not be a Roman? If any, speak;

for him have I offended. Who is here so vile, that will not love his

country? If any, speak; for him have I offended. I pause for a reply.

It is significant because this quote shows lots of Brutus' honor, brave and arragont. Furthermore, in this scene, he becomes very sneaky, cunning and forceful to the publiens. He shows his patriotism to cast that it was all for the general good of Rome to have liberty, freedom and justice. If he did not say these out to Romans, they could not belive in him that killing Caesar was right to be all free men. They also would not honour him and have respect him because Brutus was Caesar's friend. Killing friendship to the dead line is likely as terrible murder. Therefore, Brutus was so passionate and loyal that he could change crime to murder like an alchemist.

No comments:

Post a Comment